Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bracciano Lake

Ciao
Today I went to Bracciano Lake, a volcanic lake (actually formed in the crater of a volcano). It is the second largest lake in the Roman region, and also one of the cleanest in Europe. It is a major potable water source for all of Rome.  The lake formed around 400,000 years ago and a old village has just been found in Anguilara Sabazia , one of  only 3  villages that are on the lake. ( which is, by the way, 20 miles around. I am soooooo glad I didn't walk around the lake. =] )  the settlement ( the village ) is an exciting find because it dates back to 5690 BC ( ok yesterday I said that Circus Maximus was the oldest thing I have seen so far, well I scratch that and I  now say that the lake is honestly the oldest thing I have seen so far. ) and the people that settled there were masterminds for their era. They were not hunter gatherers but actually farmed, had domestic animals, and  very interesting  tools. We weren't able to see this site but still.............. over 7,000 years old! There is also a castle at Bracciano, ( we saw the castle in the distantince but weren't able to go to it. =[ ) the lake named for the village.  " Castle Odescalchi " was made even more famous in recent years as the place were Tom Cruise was married.
Ok the lake was sooooo relaxing, when we got there we had lunch; we went to a local butcher/cheese/bread shop right next to the lake. We were there for about 1/2 hour while the owner was treating us like family, and was telling us to try/sample a bunch of his cheese, meats , and breads. He was a really good guy, but he talked WAY TO MUCH!!!! ). After we had lunch we just sretched out. I skipped some stones and fed the ducks, and had some gelatto " the italian ice cream ". Even after we left the lake I was still realxed. Nice day/ beautfull lake = Good times =]
Ciao
                                                              Castle Odescalchi
Feeding the ducks 
Pier and Alessandra

My mom and me, looking for rocks to skip

Pier, teasing the swan (that was very friendly)

1 comment:

  1. HI Danie, I'm really enjoying all your blogs, you are so fortunate to have this experience. May to cherish each moment and have lots of fun, you deserve the best. Is your dad working away, while your mom and you play tourist? Give your dad my best regards. Hugs to you, Lucy

    ReplyDelete