Monday, April 18, 2011

San Clemente



Hi guys,
I have been Italy in for 11 days now, and I am off to a late start with my blog. Sorry!  This morning I went to San Clemente church. It took me FOREVER to actually get to the center of Rome. ( San Clemente is located in Rome just  past the Colosseum, which  as you might say is  COLOSSAL!!!!!! )  I had to take 2 trains then walk 1/2 a mile before I even reached San Clemente, ok scratch that, before we got lost, then found the church.  OK, before I even tell you how A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! this place was, I'll give you some facts about this Church,which was out in the middle of No Where!
The basilica of Saint Clemente is a roman catholic minor basilica dedicated to Pope Clement 1st.  This church is a three tiered building. ( Basically, it's a church built upon another church, which was built upon a old roman catholic house and alleyway " Crazy Right "  )
the present basilica was built just before the year 1100 during the height of the middle ages. ( this church is almost 1,000 years old!!!!! and that's the newest of the 3 structures!!!!!! ) beneath the the present basilica is a 4th century basilica, that had been converted out of a home of a roman man. This house briefly served as a pagan temple to a sun god. The basement of the house " may have " served as a mint in the 2nd century. Beneath that, ( geeshhhhhh this is starting to get old  =] ) there is a building that had been destroyed in the great fire of 64 AD.
This place was amazing, each floor was cooler than the last, I take it back.....EACH floor was amazing!
I couldn't take any pictures so I will post a link to a web site (on this website you can take a virtual tour so you can see what I saw). Just click the San Clemente link on top right of this page.  I couldn't believe how detailed the churches still were after all the time that had past, there was a marble column that was still in "mint" condition and looked as smooth as glass. There were also quite a few murals and mosaics that portrayed biblical scenes (with POPE CLEMENT the first, funny how he managed to be there when Jesus was alive =]  )
Walking through the tunnels under the newer church, there were some stair cases that were very narrow and I felt very claustrophobic, I can't imagine how they lived then. Those guys must have been midgets because my dad had to duck to get through some doorways and he isn't very tall!
Anyway, I had a great time exploring and would love to be able to spend more time here. I also saw  Circus Maximus, but I will tell you about that adventure later : )
CIAO!
Danie

2 comments:

  1. HI Danie!!! So wonderful to experience Italy through your personal blog, good job! I am thrilled to reading more of your Italy blog. Yes, Happy, Happy Birthday to you. What did you do to celebrate your (14th?) birthday? BTW, do you have skype? what is your skype name, maybe we can connect we can chat with you. Much love from the Big Island, Lucy p.s. I don't think we are going to HI State meet this year, even if it will be in Kihei. We have lots going on and Hannah just aged up as you know. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my birthday the one and only thing I wanted to do was shop! The one thing I didn't get to do.....Shop! It was really more my Dad's birthday than mine. We went to see the vatican, colleseum, and the roman forum. I also had to swim : ( I did get to eat real Italian sausage and really cool pasta for dinner plus a berry mousse pie, the only good thing......I will miss you at states. I don't know my skype name, I will have to get my mom to find out.
    xxxxxxxxoooooooxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete